When they returned from their six-week royal hiatus over the holidays, most people expected that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle would have a new approach to royal life up their sleeves. The Sussexes had been open about the trials and tribulations that they’d endured in the spotlight. What we did not expect, was Megxit.
The world was stunned when the duke and duchess announced that they would be stepping back from their roles as senior working members of the British royal family in an effort to carve out a more peaceful and private life for themselves.
Apparently, the duo had not informed the royal family before announcing the decision, which led to chaos upheaval. Though the Sussexes and the royals appeared to work towards a solution seamlessly — Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s most recent announcement proves that things were much more dramatic then we thought.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were prevented from sharing Megxit details sooner
Though we know that the Sussexes’ final date as working royals is April 1, the duke and duchess had hoped to share this and more details of their Megxit transition sooner. However, in a statement on their website, they made it clear that the royal family blocked them from further disclosure.
“We had hoped to be allowed to share these details with you sooner (to mitigate any confusion and subsequent misreporting), but the facts below should help provide some clarification around this transition and the steps for the future,” they explained.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry never wanted to step away from royal life completely
Megxit was never supposed to be a total break from royal life, but the Sussexes were given no other option. “The preference of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex was to continue to represent and support Her Majesty The Queen albeit in a more limited capacity, while not drawing on the Sovereign Grant,” they stated.
They also made it clear that they feel they are being treated unfairly considering other minor royals like Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice have been able to retain ” normal” jobs while carrying out royal duties. “While there is precedent for other titled members of the Royal Family to seek employment outside of the institution, for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, a 12-month review period has been put in place,” their statement said.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are upset they’ve been banned from using Sussex Royal
The Sussexes’ spent a great deal of time and money branding themselves Sussex Royal. Now, after April 1 they are being forced to rebrand, and they aren’t pleased. They also say they could continue using the “royal” aspect of their brand if they really wanted to.
“While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word “Royal” overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use “Sussex Royal” or any iteration of the word “Royal” in any territory (either within the UK or otherwise) when the transition occurs Spring 2020,” they said in a recent statement regarding Megxit. “The trademark applications that had been filed as protective measures and that reflected the same standard trademarking requests as done for The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, have been removed.”
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are furious at the media
It’s clear that the Sussexes blame the media for their exit, especially considering the hurtful racist and sexist coverage that’s Markle had to endure. She was villainized almost as soon as her relationship with the prince was announced.
They’ve made it clear the following Megxit this won’t be tolerated. “The Royal Family respect and understand the wish of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to live a more independent life as a family, by removing the supposed ‘public interest’ justification for media intrusion into their lives,” they explained.
We’re sure we’ll hear more from Meghan Markle and Prince Harry soon.